Training Doyens is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. This program is valid for 1 PDC for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit shrmcertification.org.
Federal law requires that every employer who recruits, refers for a fee, or hires an individual for employment in the U.S. must complete the I-9 form, Employment Eligibility Verification form. The Form I-9 process, managed by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, will help you verify your employee's identity and employment authorization. Also in 2020, the IRS has issued the new W4, which change the ways workers will be calculating their withholding for federal income tax purposes.
The I9 and W4 forms are payroll forms that employers MUST RECEIVE during the hiring process. Employers take a high risk not obtaining them prior to employment. The IRS and the USCIS both have specific rules on how to obtain, verify and process these forms. In some cases, penalties for I9 non-compliance can result in jail time, as well as Homeland Security, the FBI, an USCIS immigration audits. If you don’t use the new W 4 form, 2020, it could result in your company being reviewed for under or over withholding federal income tax.
By attending the webinar you’ll understand all rules that apply to these forms. Join Mark Schwartz, a payroll tax expert, in his fast paced and complete webinar designed to get you ready NOW. In addition to a Q&A session at the end, Mark will give you his contact information for any future questions you may have. Presentation slides will also be distributed as a takeaway.
• Know who has to give you the new W 4 form, 2020, vs the old one
• Eventually get a new W4 from all workers
• Input the new information into your payroll system
• Describe the new requirements of the new I-9 form, 2020, vs the old one
• Explain why the new requirements are important to both workers and employers
• Verify the information with the appropriate agencies
• Respond to I9 form related inquiries and notices from the IRS and USCIS
• Make decisions about workers who don’t submit the I9 or W4
• How to handle confidential information
• We will take the I9 and W4 line by line, to make clear what information is necessary for your company to collect
• We will discuss what to do with both forms when you receive them
• For the I9 verification, we will discuss what to do if the information DOES NOT MATCH the information the IRS has on your worker
• For the W4, we will discuss how the employees will be calculating the withholdings, and what it means for your payroll department
• We will discuss all issues with both forms, what problems to anticipate and how to deal with them
• Human Resources Professionals
• Payroll Managers and Staff
• Dept or Functional Managers
• Hiring and other HR personnel
Years of Experience: 15+ years
Areas of Expertise: Payroll Processing and Payroll Tax Issues
Mark Schwartz is an employment tax specialist and has over 15 years of employment tax experience as an independent consultant and as a payroll tax auditor with the State of California. He has managed an audit caseload of 20 ongoing audits, from small home-based businesses to large multi-national corporations. He is expert at defining regulatory and statutory requirements from local, State and Federal government agencies; and helping the average business person understand what that mean to their business. He has processed weekly and bi-weekly payroll checks plus tax forms for businesses with hourly as well as exempt workers, multistate operations and a wide variety of benefits.
Mr. Schwartz provides consulting services encompassing payroll processing and payroll tax issues. These include payroll tax minimization, payroll tax compliance reviews, independent contractor studies, use of electronic transfers, deductions, benefits, etc. Markhas represented both clients and the State in front of the State Appeals Board. He understands the complexities of local wage laws, unemployment and disability claims, and other wage and benefit issues affecting your employees.
Mark prides himself on his outstanding customer service skills. He listens attentively to his clientele, helping them bridge the gap between the small business world and Government bureaucracy. He eagerly assists with clients needs, and feels that educating clients toward faster, accurate and more complete payroll processes provides the most value.
Mark is a participating member of the American Payroll Association. He earned his BA and MBA in Finance at Santa Clara University. He has held Certified Internal Auditor and Certified Investment and Derivatives Auditor Credentials. Mark is currently pursuing a Certified Payroll Fundamentals Credential with the American Payroll Association.View all trainings by this speaker