Reducing turnover and fast-tracking new employees to productivity is a key business imperative. The reality is that about 30% of employees don’t make it past their first year and it’s expensive. Good recruitment and hiring can be quickly undone by disorganized and poorly executed new employee orientation. And as millennials become a driving force in the workplace, they represent special opportunities and challenges. Every generation has unique needs and millennials are no different. But implementing onboarding best practices for millennials generally works well for everyone. This is an opportunity to step up our game.
The research is clear; a systematic comprehensive employee onboarding process is good for business. In fact formal onboarding increases the chance of keeping a new employee for at least 3 years by 69% and one study showed employees were productive two months earlier with an effective program. Employees get up to speed quicker and stay on the job longer when their first year experience is well managed.
Onboarding new employees effectively accelerates the new hires’ productivity, increases engagement, and improves retention. Onboarding best practices is a competitive advantage for companies that want to succeed.
The purpose and benefits of a great onboarding program
• Understand the 5 key components of an effective employee onboarding program
• Understand the four “C’s”: Compliance, Clarification, Culture, and Connection
• 8 tips for onboarding millennials effectively
• Applying gamification to employee onboarding – why and how
• How to structure a comprehensive onboarding plan
• Nurturing millennialsfrom the start
• Five metrics to help measure effectiveness
• How to build connections with new hires
• Quickly getting millennials to their full potential
• How retention interviews support onboarding
• Receive an assessment of your onboarding program
• Receive coaching and mentoring questions to build engagement and loyalty
• How to use technology to modernize your program
• Best practices for effective programs
• Problems and pitfalls to avoid in building your program
• Tips and ideas to make your program more effective
Handouts and samples
• Coaching questions for retention and engagement
• Onboarding program assessment
• List of 100+ onboarding best practices
Employee onboarding integrates the employees into the company through socialization, acculturation, training, and coaching. The result is employees who clearly understand their role and feel connected to the company. We’ll show you how best of class programs start onboarding during employee recruitment and have a systematic program for the first year of work. This webinar gives you the key components to a cost-effective employee onboarding plan that will increase retention, employee engagement and productivity.
Human Resources professionals, leaders, managers, supervisors, and organizational development.
Years of Experience: 35+ years
Areas of Expertise: Leadership and Organizational Development
Bob Verchota is owner and senior consultant for RP Verchota & Associates, a consulting firm providing services to clients who seek to align their business and employees, creating successful outcomes and excellent work environments. After 30+ years in Human Resources senior leadership roles and teaching both undergraduate and graduate courses in Leadership and Organizational Development, Bob transitioned to using his experience and skills in consulting.
Mr. Verchota provides solutions to companies for a wide variety of HR issues including training and development, compensation, compliance, policy development, performance management, employee relations and managing change from mergers and acquisitions to project specific disruptions of the status quo.
Bob has an undergraduate degree in Business Administration, graduate degree in Healthcare Administration, and doctoral work (ABD) in Organizational Development. He is a lifetime Senior Professional in Human Resources.View all trainings by this speaker